Title: Women in Bed: Nine Stories
Author: Jessica Keener. She is also the author of the novel Night Swim.
Genre: Literary Fiction, Women’s Fiction
Readers: Lawyer Rochelle, nonprofit director Kimberly, at-home parents Marina, Dana and Megan V.
Summary: This collection of nine stories thematically addresses variations of love – love of self, family, and sexual relationships – from loneliness and isolation, desperation and rejection – to need and passion, forgiveness and, finally, to love found.
Our Take: We like Keener’s style, even if we don’t always like the open endings of her stories.
Title: Princesses Behaving Badly: Real Stories From History Without the Fairy-Tale Endings
Author: Linda Rodriguez McRobbie. She is a freelance journalist, this is her first book.
Readers: Professors JoLee and Irene Adler, publishing professional Gigi, attorney Elizabeth H. and librarian Mary Liz.
Summary: You think you know her story. You’ve read the Brothers Grimm, you’ve watched the Disney cartoons, you cheered as these virtuous women lived happily ever after. But the lives of real princesses couldn’t be more different. Sure, many were graceful and benevolent leaders—but just as many were ruthless in their quest for power, and all of them had skeletons rattling in their royal closets. Princess Stephanie von Hohenlohe was a Nazi spy. Empress Elizabeth of the Austro-Hungarian empire slept wearing a mask of raw veal. Princess Olga of Kiev murdered thousands of men, and Princess Rani Lakshmibai waged war on the battlefield, charging into combat with her toddler son strapped to her back. Princesses Behaving Badly offers minibiographies of all these princesses and dozens more. It’s a fascinating read for history buffs, feminists, and anyone seeking a different kind of bedtime story.
Our Take: These short real-life tales of princesses are fun and frightening, great for short reads. Not perfect for big history buffs who want lots of detail, but great for the casual lover of royalty.
Author: Colette Auclair. This is her first novel.
Genre: Romance, Chick Lit
Readers: Daycare teacher EMarie, policy wonk BakingSuit, at-home parents Sarah L., Shawna and Megan V.
Summary: Professional trainer Amanda Vogel dreams of riding jumpers in the Olympics, but after seeing her best friend die in a riding accident, she’s so traumatized she can’t show. Broke and desperate, she takes a summer job in Aspen teaching some big-shot widowed movie star’s spoiled daughters to ride—even though she hates teaching kids. She braces herself for three miserable months. But by Labor Day, she has to choose between capturing a gold medal…and the man who has captured her heart.
Our Take: A solid romance novel that’s an easy and fast read. Sure, it’s nothing groundbreaking but it’ll pass the time nicely.
Author: Katy Evans. This is the first novel in her Real series, which were originally self-published and are now being distributed by Gallery Books.
Readers: Editor Lori, bookkeeper Tykira, small business owner Samantha, professor Michal and at-home parent Dana.
Summary: Remington Tate has a bad-boy rep in and out of the ring, a granite-hard body, and a raw, animal power that sends his female fans into a frenzy. But from the moment their eyes lock, the only woman he wants is Brooke Dumas. His desire is pure, all-consuming, and REAL.
Hired to keep his perfect body working like a machine, Brooke finally has the lucrative sports therapy job she’s been dreaming of. But as she tours the dangerous underground fighting circuit with Remy and his team, Brooke’s own body becomes alive with the most primal of hungers. If what happens between Brooke and Remy is ever as light as a flirtation, it quickly becomes an erotic obsession for them both, and promises so much more.
But their white-hot lust has a dark side—and when Remy’s deepest secret comes to light and Brooke’s familial duties demand action, will the pair be able to hang on, or will everything that once seemed so real suddenly fade away like an illusion?
Our Take: We wanted a little more spark and a little more flavor out of this bad-boy romance novel that didn’t do enough to break out of its formula.
It’s getting cold outside so let’s keep things steamy inside. Today we’re giving away a positively giant bunch of romance novels for you to enjoy. The bundle even includes advance copies of books not yet released!
Here’s what you’ll find inside:
- From international bestseller Christina Lauren, Beautiful Player (which we reviewed yesterday) and two novellas in the Beautiful Bastard Series: Beautiful Beginnings and Beautiful Bombshell.
- From Alice Clayton’s Redhead series, The Unidentified Redhead and an advance copy of the upcoming book The Redhead Plays Her Hand.
- The first in a new series by Jennifer Probst, author of The Marriage Bargain and the Marriage to a Billionaire series, Searching for Someday.
- An advance copy of Thrown by Colette Auclair, an upcoming romance about a champion horseback rider.
- The first in a new series, Tangled by Emma Chase, about two investment bankers who compete at work and in bed.
- Paranormal romance Out in Blue by Sarah Gilman, full of archangels and demons.
- Sci-fi romance Paradise 21 by Aubrie Dionne, set in a future searching for a new earth where genetics are tightly monitored.
- Vampire romance Bound by Night by Larissa Ione, author of the Demonica series.
- Secret Shared by L. Marie Adeline, about a secret society helping women realize their fantasies.
- Just One Night by Kyra Davis, a collected set of 3 novellas: The Stranger, Exposed and Binding Agreement, a billionaire romance.
There’s also a runner-up package that includes the Christina Lauren books and a couple other goodies. Enter below with Rafflecopter and good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway